Recommended Full-Time Schedule
The following Recommended Full-Time Schedule is not a substitute for academic advising. You must meet with an academic advisor each semester to be cleared for registration. Consult with your advisor about scheduling and degree requirements. Also, see the current undergraduate catalog (catalog.ws.edu) for a complete list of requirements and electives. Requirements are continually under revision, and there is no guarantee they will not be changed or revoked. Contact the academic division or department for current information.
Factors that affect your progression include required Learning Support courses, completion of computer competency and your choices regarding campus location, course delivery method, and the days and times selected to take classes.
1General Education electives in each category must be chosen from approved courses listed in the General Education Program .
2For transfer to Austin Peay State University, East Tennessee State University, University of Memphis, University of Tennessee-Chattanooga and University of Tennessee-Knoxville, MATH 1530 is required.
3University of Memphis does not have Development of Exceptional Children in Pre K-3 curriculum and students transferring to University of Memphis will have to take one other course after transfer.
Additional Degree Requirements
• Students transferring to a UT or TBR university may need to meet additional requirements to gain admittance to the university’s early childhood program. Transferring students should check with the university for specific program requirements.
• In general, transferring students must meet the following:
- Attainment of 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
- Successful completion of approved standardized examination for admission to university Colleges of Education
- Satisfactory rating on an index of suitability for the teaching profession.
• Walters State students are required to meet computer competency during the first 30 hours of coursework. Students must take INFS 1010, BUSN 1360 or AGRM 2630/2631 or successfully complete a Computer Competency Exam. The Computer Competency Exam does not provide course credit. Consult your advisor. See www.ws.edu/academics/technical-ed/computer-competency/ for additional information.
• Learning Support courses must be taken every semester until completed.
Humanities and/or Fine Arts (9 hours)
Approved Art Appreciation or Music Appreciation Course1
Approved Humanities Course1
Approved Literature Course1
History (6 hours)
Two Approved History Courses1
Behavioral/Social Sciences (6 hours)
Approved World Regional Geography1
Approved Behavioral/Social Science Elective1
Mathematics (3 hours)
Approved Mathematics Course1, 2
Natural Science (8 hours)
Approved Biological/Life Science with Lab1
Approved Physical/Earth Science with Lab1