Degree: Associate of Applied Science
Emphasis: Health Information Management
The Health Information Management program prepares individuals with an associate of applied science degree who meet entry-level competencies for registered health information technicians (RHIT).
The Health Information Management program is a two year associate of applied science degree designed to prepare individuals to manage and code the medical information obtained in the medical records, organize the coded information for reimbursement purposes, abstract other data to meet administrative and governmental requirements, manage medical and legal inquiries for medical information, calculate healthcare statistics, perform data analytics, manage the HIM department operational and human resource functions. Graduates of this program will be prepared for a variety of positions in the health information services market. The program is designed to offer a wide variety of learning experiences including classroom and online instruction, use of computers and software designed for Health Information Management, and directed clinical practice in various medical settings.
The Health Information Management program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
The AAS in Health Information Management, Medical Coding Technical Certificate and Medical Insurance Specialist Technical Certificate was developed in compliance with the complete College Tennessee Act of 2010. Students who begin this program at Walters State Community College and transfer to another Tennessee public community college are guaranteed that their credits will transfer and will be credited toward completion of the AAS degree in Health Information Management, Medical Coding Technical Certificate, and Medical Insurance Specialist Technical Certificate at the receiving institution.
This program is designed for the student who does not intend to transfer to a baccalaureate degree program.
Admission, Retention and Graduation Requirements
- Apply, meet admission requirements and be accepted by Walters State Community College.
- Indicate Health Information Management as the desired major on the WSCC application form.
- See an advisor from the Health Programs Division prior to registering for classes and obtain clearance to register.
- Complete all required Learning Support courses prior to making application for the Health Information Management program.
- In addition, admission to an allied health program requires the following: (a) a completed physical health form; (b) evidence of malpractice liability insurance; and (c) a signed and dated acknowledgment of the Drug/Alcohol Abuse Policy and Consent forms. These requirements are at the student’s expense. Deadlines are announced in class.
- Each student enrolled in the Health Information Management program will be monitored, advised and counseled. Students’ grades will be evaluated at the end of each semester by the director of the program. A student must maintain the following standards or be dismissed from the program: (a) a grade of “C” or better in each course; (b) complete designated prerequisite/corequisite courses.
- Program graduation requirements include the successful completion of the courses listed below with a minimum grade of “C” in each course.
- Successful completion of BIOL 2010/2011 and BIOL 2020/2021 with a grade of “C” or better is a prerequisite to HIMT 2307.