Feb 26, 2024
Policies and Procedures Manual
06:28:01 Faculty Development
|Executive Director of Human Resources
|Responsible Executive Officer:
|Vice President for Business & Finance
Walters State Community College recognizes the need for the continued professional growth and development of all faculty at the institution. The continued professional growth and development of faculty is necessary for the institution to continue to provide educational programs which: (1) include new developments and knowledge in academic disciplines; (2) reflect new institutional, research, and public service techniques and strategies; and (3) meet changing needs and expectations of students. While all faculty are responsible for their own continued professional development, it is essential that the college provide planned, organized faculty development programs to encourage professional growth in accordance with the missions and goals of this institution.
The college will provide opportunities for professional faculty development through but not limited to the following:
- The vice president for Academic Affairs, and the faculty development committee, will plan and implement at least one program for faculty development within the academic year to achieve predetermined objectives and utilize an appropriate variety of activities.
- In-service education programs designed to increase the effectiveness of the instructional program will be provided through systemic evaluation of instruction by students, faculty and appropriate administrators.
- Effective use of grant-in-aid and scholarships pursuant to TBR guideline no. P-130.
- Provision of financial support through grant awards and other means for research or the improvement of instruction, for faculty participation in workshops, short courses and seminars designed to develop new skills in instruction, research and public service, and for faculty participation in major activities by their respective professional associations.
- Sponsorships of local forums, lectures, and workshops on scholarly developments and activities.
The institutional budget will reflect the amount of funds allocated for faculty development. The Office of the Chancellor of TBR also maintains a system level program to supplement and enhance the faculty development programs of the individual institutions. Local faculty development activities will be coordinated with the system level program.
Faculty members are responsible for attending at least two educational faculty development programs for their professional development per academic year. It is recommended that the faculty member select at least one activity for fall and at least one for spring semester for a minimum of two. Faculty development programs can include both on and off-campus events and can consist of in-services attended by the entire faculty, their department, or the individual. It is suggested that continued faculty development should include both specific individual/department needs as well as varied areas of professional interest to the faculty member.
Each faculty member should keep documentation of completion of his/her activities for his/her records. Faculty development activities are assessed as part of the annual evaluation of each faculty member.
10/13; 05/16; 7/23